Study at Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University (BCU) was established initially as Birmingham College of Art with roots back to 1843.
It was made a polytechnic university in 1971 and gained university status in 1992. It is one of the city’s long-standing universities and the second largest of the five. It was renamed as Birmingham City University in 2007, as a reflection of the university’s pride and commitment to the city.
Its strengths are in the creative and performing arts – the Birmingham Government School of Design was the first college of design outside London (opened in 1843) and the Birmingham School of Music, later the Birmingham Conservatoire (opened in 1886). Both were incorporated into the university and still have a strong standing in the UK’s higher education landscape.
- Established: 1843 (Birmingham College of Art)
- Students: 20,480 (2018/19)
- Intl. Student Ratio: 23%
- Location: Birmingham, West Midlands
- Campus: Three (City Centre, City House, University House)
- TEF Ranking: Silver
- THE Ranking: 67th in the UK (601-800 in the world)
Birmingham City University (BCU) covers a broad range of subjects at foundation, Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Find out more about what they offer and why it’s great to study at Birmingham City University.
- Art and Design
- Built Environment
- Health and Sport
- Music and Theatre
- Social Sciences
University Ranking (Worldwide)
According to Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021, Birmingham City University (BCU) ranks at between 601 to 800 in the world.
- Overall: n/a
- Teaching: 16.9
- Research: 10.6
- Citations: 62.4
- Industry Income: 33.7
- International Outlook: 63.9
BCU has three main campuses serving four faculties, which offer courses in art and design, business, the built environment, computing, education, engineering, English, health care, law, social sciences, technology, and the performing arts.
- City Centre Campus The Curzon Building, 4 Cardigan Street, Birmingham B4 7BD
- City South Campus Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 3TN
- University House 15 Bartholomew Row, Birmingham B5 5JU