Study at Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University was established in 1821 as the worlds first mechanics institute. It went through several subsequent name changes and then in 1966, achieved university status and was named Heriot-Watt University. The university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the UK.
The university is divided into six schools including energy, geoscience, infrastructure and society; engineering and physical sciences; social sciences; mathematical and computer sciences and textiles and design.
The Edinburgh Business School offers postgraduate courses at MBA, MSc and DBA level.
Over 50 student societies exist at the university, and many events are organised by the Students Association, including an annual charity beer festival. The Sports Union looks after the university’s 30 sports clubs and organises annual events for students that are involved in sports teams.
- Established: 1821 (School of Arts of Edinburgh)
- Students: 31,000 (Global), 10,935 (Edinburgh)
- Intl. Student Ratio: 36%
- Location: Edinburgh (Scotland)
- Campus: Five (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, Dubai, Malaysia, Orkney)
- TEF Ranking: Silver
- THE Ranking: 91st Young University Rankings 2016 (351 – 400 in the World)
Heriot-Watt University covers a broad range of subjects at foundation, Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. Please find out more about what they offer and why it’s great to study at Heriot-Watt University.
- Accounting & Finance
- Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics
- Architectural Engineering
- Biological Chemistry, Biophysics and Bioengineering
- Brewing and Distilling
- Building, Planning and Urban Design
- Business Management
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Sciences
- Civil Engineering and Structural Engineering
- Civil/Safety/Water Engineering
- Combined Studies
- Computer Science
- Construction Management and Surveying
- Construction Project Management and Quantity Surveying
- Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
- Energy and Renewables
- Fashion, Textiles and Design
- Food Science, Health and Nutrition
- Geography and Urban Studies
- Intercultural Studies
- Languages and Intercultural Studies
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Marine, Environment and Climate Change
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical, Process and Energy Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Photonics and Quantum Sciences
- Real Estate, Housing and Social Policy
- Sensors, Signals and Systems
- Strategy and Enterprise
- Textiles and Design
University Ranking (Worldwide)
According to Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021, the University of Heriot-Watt University is ranking at 351- 400th in the world. It is also ranked at 91st at Young University Rankings 2016, and 101-125th European Teaching Rankings 2019 rankings.
The university has five campuses located in Edinburgh, the Scottish Borders, Dubai, Malaysia and Orkney. The Dubai campus was the first university campus from a UK university to be set up in Dubai International Academic City and has since expanded to take double the number of students. Students are offered inter-campus transfers if they wish to study abroad for a period of time as well as transfers through the Erasmus programme.
Over 50 student societies exist at the university and a number of events are organised by the Students Association including an annual charity beer festival. The Sports Union looks after the university’s 30 sports clubs and organises annual events for students that are involved in sports teams.
- Edinburgh Campus: Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS
- Scottish Borders Campus: Nether Road, Galashiels, TD1 3HF
- Orkney Campus: Heriot-Watt University, Orkney Campus, Franklin Road, Stromness, Orkney, KW16 3AN
- Dubai Campus: Heriot-Watt University, Dubai Campus, Knowledge Park, Blocks 5 & 14, PO Box 38103 (Postal Address)
- Malaysia Campus: Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, No 1 Jalan Venna P5/2, Precinct 5, 62200 Putrajaya, Malaysia (Postal Address)